Monday, March 5, 2012

Confession: I will never face my fear again...

...
I know I shouldn't use definite words like never because I know that one day I will face my fear again but I'm really struggling with one in particular.

I stopped singing a long time ago after being in choir for 4 years and band for 10. I stopped because someone told me that I sounded horrible and that it would do everyone a favor if I stopped. So I did... I stopped singing out loud for 14 years. Well, at a recent worship practice, as in I decided to try it again and have been doing so for a few months now, someone told me that I sounded horrible and that I shouldn't be up there unless I could do it.

Talk about wanting to quit. That person has since apologized but honestly the wound has been uncovered and hit with a big dosage of salt. It sucks. I have lost all confidence to sing and told Pastor that I was no longer on the worship team. Of course he didn't accept that answer but I don't know if I can do it again. I'm trying hard to get over it but it's difficult. I mean, this person could have said, "you were off today" or something nicer... but to say that I sounded horrible and to say it in front of other people is just traumatizing. This has been bothering me for 2 weeks now and I do not know what to do. I know when I'm confident in what I'm doing, I can sing ok... nothing spectacular but did you really have to say "horrible?" I really do want to be done...

2 comments:

  1. Don't quit! Don't let the sinful action of another person keep you from using the gifts God's given you! Satan wins when that happens:( I hate that he (Satan) finds ways to discourage us even within the body of Christ, but we don't let him win. We resist him and he flees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have truly enjoyed seeing you up there. I remember you mentioned that you didn't sing once and then you were in the choir. I could really hear you and corey sing your part well! then I saw you up there and I though how great!! I wish the same as joylynn

    ReplyDelete