Saturday, March 24, 2012

Confession: Reality Check

The harsh reality of what being a police officer is all about has set in. Not just a police officer but a police officers wife. As I'm sure you have all heard by now, a State Trooper was shot during a traffic stop with a subject. The officer, thank God, is not majorly hurt but either way, the experience is a reality check.

It is funny because when Brian first became a police officer, I was excited and nervous. It was like my husband was a super hero... fighting crime to make our neighborhoods a safer place for everyone to live in. Then, you get a call at 2:30 in the morning stating something terrible happened, that he was going to be late, and that he would fill me in later. Of course, I immediately start scouring all the new media outlets looking for what took place. All I was told was that it involved an officer but Brian wanted me to know that he was ok. Nothing was posted on the news outlets so I just started to pray for this unknown officer. I prayed for his wife, his children [even though he doesn't have any] and for whatever happened to draw him closer to Jesus. Brian was due home at 3am... at 8:15am, he walks in the door and shares the reality of his career choice... a police officer was shot twice.

Tonight, Brian came home and we found out that the police radio traffic from that night is posted on YouTube. Brian and I listened to it and you hear this officers partner state that his buddy had been shot... his voice quivering... adrenaline pumping... nervous tension was quite evident in his radio call. Can we say reality check? I love that Brian is a police officer but I know that he is not untouchable. B3 and I pray every night that Brian return safely to us every morning and that he be protected while patrolling the streets of Saginaw. What this cop went through was a close call... you can even hear him in the background as his partner is speeding him to the hospital.

Reality Check. That could be Brian some day. I'm hoping that it will not, but it could be and the actions that took place last night make me want to hold him closer, to hug him tighter, to kiss him longer, to love him always. It's a reminder that sometimes the good guys win... sometimes the bad ones do. It's a reminder that I, as a wife and mother, need to trust Jesus with B2 and know that he IS protected. Our God is good ladies and gentlemen. He hears our prayers and I believe he does protect Brian and has equipped him with a heightened sense of awareness while patrolling the streets. I will continue to pray for this trooper and his wife... I ask that you do as well.

If you want to hear that radio call, go here.

It chills me to the bone to hear it... but it is a reality check.

No comments:

Post a Comment